Download Pokemon Emerald Essence GBA ROM Hack by GCass based on Pokemon Emerald in English. And it’s now available for download.
Download Pokemon Emerald Essence GBA ROM Hack
Hack by: Emerald
Updated on: October 26, 2022
Also check out Pokemon Nameless.
The goal of Pokemon Emerald Essence ROM hack is to keep the essence of the original game while making it possible to get every Pokemon that should be caught in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. All Pokemon can be found where they are normally found, so there is no need to look into a README file to figure out where to find them. If you want to catch all 386 Pokemon then this hack is not for you. If you want to play through Emerald with the possibility of catching any Pokemon regardless of version exclusivity or trading requirements, then this hack is for you!
Pokemon Emerald Essence changes can be divided into 2 groups: changes that allow the completion of the Hoenn Dex and quality of life changes/modernizations.
Changes that allow the completion of the Hoenn Dex
- Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald exclusives in all territories
For example: In Ruby, Zangoose is present in Route 114. In Sapphire/Emerald, Seviper is present in Route 114. In the Emerald Essence, both Zangoose and Seviper can be found in Route 114. This applies to every area in the game.
- Pokemon that normally evolve through trading now evolve at level 37.
For example Graveler, Machoke and Kadabra.
- You can find the starters you didn’t choose in the desert underpass.
In the desert underpass there are two Pokeballs containing the two starter Pokemon you didn’t choose.
- An NPC in the Battle Frontier Pokemon Center will reward you for completing the Hoenn Dex
When you complete the Hoenn Dex and get your diploma from Lilycove City, you get Jirachi as a reward.
- Dragon Scale, Deep Sea Fang, and Deep Sea Scale can now evolve Pokemon by using them.
This allows Seadra to evolve into Kingdra, Clamperl into Huntail, and Clamperl into Gorebyss.
- An NPC in the Battle Frontier Pokemon Center will give you the Mystic Ticket, Aurora Ticket, Eon Ticket, and Old Sea Map.
This allows you to travel to Navel Rock, Birth Island, Southern Island and Faraway Island.
Quality of life changes/modernizations
- TMs are reusable
Just like later Pokemon games, you can use TMs as many times as you want.
- HMs are now forgettable
Now HMs can be easily replaced with other moves.
- The running shoes are available from the beginning of the game and you can run in the hall.
This makes the beginning of the game less tedious and later makes the game more comfortable indoors.
- Statistics affected by nature are color coded on the overview screen
As in later Pokemon games, the increased stats are red and the decreased stats are blue.
- Everstone now 100% transmits natures regardless of gender.
This works like later Pokemon games, instead of only passing natures 50% of the time and only working on females and Ditto.
- Egg moves can now be inherited from either parent
This works like the later Pokemon games, instead of only male parents being able to inherit egg moves.
- When a Repel wears off, you’ll be promptly asked if you want to use another.
This works like it does in the later Pokemon games and makes using Repels a lot less of a hassle.
- Instead of choosing between the Mach Wheel and the Acro Wheel, you now have both in Rydel.
This makes traversing much easier and there is less going back. If you start this hack from a previous save, Rydel will give you the missing bike.
- Move tutors are reusable
Move Tutors can now be used as many times as desired.
- The move memory no longer requires heart scales
Fallarbor Town’s Move Reminder now helps you relearn moves for free.
- The Flamethrower and Dual Team TMs can be purchased at the Lilycove Department Store.
Previously, these TMs could only be obtained from the Mauville play area.
- Added cut contents from Alteration Cave
The altering cave was originally supposed to contain various Johto Pokemon that would alternate based on a mystery gift. This never made it into the final game and instead, the cave had nothing but Zubats. Now, the cave contains all the Johto Pokemon that would have been available to catch. These Pokemon are Mareep, Aipom, Pineco, Shuckle, Teddiursa, Houndour, Stantler, and Smeargl
- All evolution items can be purchased at Battle Frontier Poke Mart.
These include: fire, water, thunder, leaf, moon, and sun stones, as well as dragon scale, deep sea fang, and deep sea scale
- Minor dialogue changes to match the changes
For example, Roxanne now says TMs can be used infinitely instead of saying they can only be used once.
Disclaimers: I originally made Pokemon Emerald Essence rom hack for fun and for myself, because of this, the hack is in no way perfect. I’m not a user of Hex Editors, so the story hasn’t changed at all, I mostly just used PGE, HSE, and HTE, but those tools helped me accomplish everything I wanted to do. I am proud of a lot of the sprite work, however I am a novice sprite artist and it is definitely not perfect, so please go easy on me as this was not originally intended for the public. Also the image is something I quickly threw together to show off some new sprites, I realize it’s not of great quality, don’t go too hard on me!
Pokemon Emerald Essence Credits